Chalfont Fire Company History
Be a Volunteer Fire Fighter at the Chalfont Fire Company Engine 34/74
The History of Chalfont Chemical Fire Engine Company No. 1
HISTORY
Founding and Early Years
In February 1904, a group of concerned local men gathered to address the pressing need for fire protection in Chalfont. By March, they had drafted a charter, which was officially approved by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on April 26. On May 2, 1904, the organization was incorporated as “The Chalfont Chemical Fire Engine Company No. 1,” dedicated to supporting a fire engine, hook and ladder, and hose company for fire control.
Born in the horse-and-buggy era, the fire company began as a volunteer effort—a tradition that endures today with no paid members. In its early days, equipment was either hand-drawn or pulled by horses and mules. The first purchases in 1905 included a 20-gallon, hand-drawn, two-wheel truck and a barrel on two wheels. On January 7, 1909, the company acquired its first horse-drawn fire apparatus—a two-tank chemical truck—for $185. This truck was pulled by two white mules owned by George Leary, stabled near the present-day Chalfont train station. At the sound of the alarm bell, the mules would race up the hill to the firehouse. In 1924, the company upgraded to a 400-gallon pumper, purchased for $4,000.
Evolution of Services
In 1950, the fire company expanded its mission by establishing an ambulance squad, thanks to a donation from the Chalfont Lions Club—a 1938 Packard ambulance. The squad provided basic life support until 1995, when it earned state approval to offer advanced life support. To ensure round-the-clock coverage, paid emergency staff were introduced in 1994, providing 24/7 ambulance services. In 2007, the ambulance and fire operations separated, giving rise to Chal-Brit Regional EMS, now thriving at its new headquarters at 201 Park Avenue in New Britain Township.
Community Support
Since 1925, the Ladies Auxiliary has played a vital role in supporting the fire company. Through fundraisers, the Auxiliary provides substantial annual donations and offers practical assistance, such as supplying food and beverages during large fires and training sessions.
Stations Through the Years
For over a century, the Main Station, or Station 34, stood at 101 N. Main Street in Chalfont Borough. Originally built by Austin Griffith as a combined post office and firehouse, the building also served as the town hall and police station. Expanded at least three times since 1904, it relocated in June 2011 to its current home at 301 N. Main Street.
In May 1973, Station 54 opened at the New Britain Township garage at Newville Road and Route 152 North, though it closed in 2006. In 1984, a groundbreaking ceremony marked the establishment of Station 74, known as the West Station, located at 1034 Schoolhouse Road in the Highlands development.